On Monday, Feb. 4th, Kortlan brought home his class newsletter that his teacher sends out every Monday. In the "Things to Remember" box it reads:
Please remember to dress your student warmly - we have been having outside recess and if the temp. is not freezing, children are expected to stay outside in the morning until 8:45. I have had several children coming in lately telling me that their parents do not want them outside. I would appreciate parents cooperation in making sure students are not coming to school too soon.
Now as I read this I was thinking to myself, wow, these poor kids are being told by their parents that they can't be outside until school starts and the parents have been told by the school that they are not supposed to be in the school before 8:45. Some parents just think their child can break the rules. I know that my kids can't be in that early. And who would send their kids to school in 15 degrees without any warm clothes on? Anyway, these were my thoughts as I read this newsletter.
Last night, upon entering Kortlan's classroom to meet with his teacher, he took off his coat and his sweatshirt so he could "be more comfortable". His teacher then proceeded to tell me that this doesn't surprise her because he shows up to school without any gloves or hat and his coat is unzipped and that he tells her that he needs to come inside because his mom doesn't want him outside in the cold. I said what?! I laughed so hard I started crying. I told his teacher that I have never told him that he has to go inside before school started and that I constantly tell him to zip up his coat and put his hat and gloves on. We both laughed about it. I told her while I was reading her newsletter I was feeling so bad for these kids whose parents are telling them to break the rules and not dressing them warm enough - just to find out that I was the one doing it!
My funny little boy! Needless to say, we had a little chat about lying when we got home.
9 years ago

5 comments:
That is too funny! Your poor little boy - I can't believe you would send him out in the cold like that without his jacket zipped! He is so cute! Brody actually asked me the other day if we could go to Kortlan's house... I told him it was too far away, but maybe someday soon. Miss you,
Tam
What a great parent moment. He sound's like a funny kid. (Emma's been wearing shorts this week- what kind of a parent does this make me?)
That's funny!
What a funny kid. I still remember when he said that his finger was "bloodish" so he needed to wear a bandaid! So funny!
I so thought I left a comment on this earlier but I guess I didn't. I am impressed you laughed when she told you that, I would have been horrified, but then again, it wouldn't have shocked me, my child takes his shoes and socks off when it is cold outside and it doesn't phase him.
Post a Comment