While skimming through the "headlines" on MSN.com I found a title that says "Seattle to ban microwave popcorn". I always like to hear why certain things get banned, so I listened to the news story. Apparently, the city offices have had to be evacuated 3 times in the past year due to burned microwave popcorn. Yeah, it smells bad, but evacuate the premises? And ban it altogether? What made me laugh was when the reporter was talking with a city employee and they got going on possible situations that might happen due to the ban:
You know what is going to happen now is that people are going to start running underground popcorn. Employees are going to be smuggling microwaves into their offices and popping for other people for an income.
The reporter even asked one of the city officials what the plan was for people who violated the ban. All he said was we are still discussing the penalties for ignoring this ban.
Seriously, banning popcorn. Should we discuss the lovely smells of microwave dinners? (i.e. lasagna, Spagettios)
I also recently read a newspaper article that was discussing America being "nannied" to death. There are so many can and cannots, so many bans and rules, so many situations that require a "Mommy, may I". Have you ever longed for the simplicity of "Little House on the Prairie"? I wonder if Doc would have banned popcorn from his office...
9 years ago

7 comments:
That is funny. We have this one babysitter that ALWAYS pops popcorn when she is over. Notoriously she burns it every time--the second I walk in the door I cringe. It takes WEEKS for that nasty smell to leave the microwave. I finally told her the last time she babysat that the kids don't need any popcorn.
When at a family gathering, I decided to make carmel corn, so I pulled out the popcorn maker. Jim's niece had no idea what it was and was surprised that you could make popcorn in an appliance that wasn't called "microwave". Times sure have changed. I still remember JiffyPop over a fire! It still smelled if you over cooked it, but not as bad a microwave accident.
HAHAHA that is funny undergraoud popcorn and microwaves,kim your so funny.
You're right -- we have a lot to learn from "Little House". I always hated it when someone brought in fish to work and heated it in the staff room microwave. It made the whole place reek for the day.
Amy
PS: We usually make our popcorn on the stove, in a pot with oil.
stovetop popcorn with oil is the best! That is by far my favorite!
My favortie is the microwave kind...banning it, never! Funny story!
I'm totally up for a weeding, scrapbooking party. You bring the chocolate and I'll make the facial appointments...remember when you taught us facials at the Sherry's and put cucumbers on our eyes? You were the older Laurel with all the make up expertise!
I think I read somewhere that if you have a stinky microwave, you can put a cup of water in a bowl with slices of lemon in the water, then microwave it for 5 minutes. If this doesn't work, add sugar to the lemon and water and have a nice hot lemonade.
Post a Comment