I don't know why, but it seems like my yard is the only one with 6 foot high weeds covering 60% of both the front and the back in my neighborhood. Not every lot has their yard in, but they don't' have nearly as many weeds as we do. We have received 4 bids from different landscapers and they are either asking an absurd amount of money or we have to wait until the 1st part of August. Competition out here is awful! They can charge whatever they want because they are so busy. One wanted $25,000! So, we decided to tackle it ourselves. We found a guy that would come weed-whack and then spray all the weeds and then roto-till and level everything out for us for a minimal fee. I was so excited. He was scheduled to show up this past Saturday at 12. Do ya think he did? Of course not! We have called and called, but nothing. Terrible business sense if you ask me. I really have a hard time with that, if you aren't going to show up, call. Anyway, this morning I decided I was going to do it myself. And so it began. I tried pulling. I tried weed-whacking. And I just now finished a 6 hour fight with the monsters. My fingers and back are so very sore. I am typing now, because I am pretty sure I won't be able to move tomorrow. While cleaning up my weed-whacking experience, the builder of our home drove by and stopped to see what I was doing. He then, very sympathetically, offered to roto-till the yard. All I had to do was spray the weeds with killer first. That sounded easy enough. So off to Home Depot I go. A gallon of Round Up concentrate in tote, I started the death process of the weed monsters. I sprayed and I sprayed. I sprayed as though my life depended on it. 3 hours and 8 gallons of Round Up later, I surrendered. The monsters have won the fight this day, but I shall resume the battle at dawn. I must complete my mission no matter what. No amount of pain shall keep me from defeating this green take over of my land. OK, maybe some pain that keeps me from actually moving in a normal way might keep me from continuing, but the element of surprise is on my side, what they don't know is that 50% of them will die by tomorrow at dusk! Whaaahahahaha! (I hope so anyway, I used enough spray.)
9 years ago

6 comments:
Weeds be gone!!! I wish you luck, that killer stuff usually does the trick..I hope so for you and that's nice your builder will till for you...at least your getting the process started, just think of that lush green grass-so worth all the work!
Kim, just think of all the muscles you are building by working so hard in your yard. You are an inspiration!
Amy
Sounds like your yard when we first moved here. Round up is our best friend!
GOOD LUCK KIM!!! IF THE WEED KILLER DOESNT WORK...TRY DUMPING GASOLINE ALL OVER THE YARD AND LIGHTING A MATCH! THAT WORKS REALLY FAST! LOL!!!
I still chuckle out loud when I read Kari's solution to the weeds. My little pyromaniac. Would that it were so simple, huh? Did the guy show up to mow 'em down? I feel for you.
How's the weed war going?
Post a Comment